My Photo
Name:
Location: St Augustine, Florida, United States

Among other things I am a father, grandfather, brother, uncle and fortunate member of a large and loving family without a throw-away in the bunch. Now a writer of quips, essays and short stories, I started serious writing and my first novel at age 70. A chemical engineering graduate of Purdue University in 1949, I am a dreamer who would like to be a poet, a cosmologist, a true environmentalist and a naturalist. I've become a lecturer on several subjects. That's my little buddy, Charlie, with me in the photo. He's an energetic, very friendly Lhasa Apso born in September, 2003. He's a good one!

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Ho's summer challenges

Since arriving home I have been overwhelmed with maintenance and recovering from at least three years of increasing and accumulating neglect. There is more to do than I can possibly accomplish or even keep up. In addition, I am completely overwhelmed with all my stuff and with all of Barbs' things. So much of Barb's things are useless to me so whatever I treasure, whatever her boys want and whatever my kids may want, I'll hold. All the rest is going in the garage sales, to charity, or in the dumpster.

I do have a schedule and itinerary for the rest of the summer. I will remain here working furiously for the next eleven days. On the 26th, a week from next Monday, I will be leaving to deliver the Mercury and motor wheel chair to Pam in Texas. From there I will fly to Jacksonville and then drive with Daphne to Orlando for the wedding of Daphne's granddaughter on July first. After the wedding Daphne and I will fly to Sacramento to spend the rest of the week with Deb. On the Sunday the ninth we will head east in Deb’s neat little BMW sedan which I am buying (actually, stealing) from her. After several stops along the way, we should arrive back here at home about July 15 or 16. With good behavior on my part Daphne will stay here for the remainder of July.

Now for what’s happening: I have started with the yard which is beginning to take shape including the patio which has been thoroughly cleaned. Regretfully, I am eliminating many of Barb’s flowers including most of the hanging and ground setting pots and buckets. Wherever possible I am replacing high maintenance plants with shrubs. All those flower gardens are just way too much work for one tired old man. I will plant and maintain the bed of Impatiens along the side door ramp and in the wheelbarrow - Barb would really like that. I will also keep and care for her perennials and flowering shrubs, mostly in the south and front gardens. They don’t require a lot of care. Her peonies, flowering almond and french lilac were all especially beautiful this year. Maybe my little guardian angel had a hand in that.

I have completely renovated the pier, replacing bad boards and have painted it. A second coat goes on today and tomorrow. I will also rebuild the deck by the pier and paint it white as well. That may not happen until mid-July.

The house is next. I plan to have it completely cleared out and all of Barb's things packed and labeled for distribution or sale within the next two weeks. I am storing Barb’s things in my cargo trailer until they are picked up, sold, or given away.

I am trying to sell - on ebay or otherwise - all of my trailer and RV stuff. That includes the old travel trailer, the cargo box trailer, my tool shed trailer and all the spare parts. Getting them ready to sell is another monumental task so it will probably take all summer.

What I am keeping is the Tanzer sailboat, (I race that) the fishing boat and the Viking deck boat. All except the Viking need only be cleaned up and put in the water. The Viking is one of my other pressing projects. It will cost me about $400.00 and probably two weeks of work to get it cleaned up, rebuilt and ready for the water. I couldn’t touch even a used boat like that for under $10,000.00. Nedra, next door, is interested in our pontoon, which I won’t need if the Viking is in the water.

I thought about asking for help, but that really isn’t fair. Everyone has their own very busy lives to lead with personal and family responsibilities pressing. Naturally I wouldn’t turn down any help offered, but I don’t want anyone to feel obligated. If I get rid of all the excess STUFF I have here, simplify maintenance to minimal gardening and mowing the lawn, have a garage open to hold two cars, have a useable back porch and a house with low maintenance where I can live, relax and enjoy company - I should be better able to enjoy however many summers I have left.

I have decided to be brutal with getting rid of things. I know it doesn’t sound like me, but I can change. SO! If there is anything here any of you might want, let me know soon or it will be gone! GONE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home