My Photo
Name:
Location: St Augustine, Florida, United States

Among other things I am a father, grandfather, brother, uncle and fortunate member of a large and loving family without a throw-away in the bunch. Now a writer of quips, essays and short stories, I started serious writing and my first novel at age 70. A chemical engineering graduate of Purdue University in 1949, I am a dreamer who would like to be a poet, a cosmologist, a true environmentalist and a naturalist. I've become a lecturer on several subjects. That's my little buddy, Charlie, with me in the photo. He's an energetic, very friendly Lhasa Apso born in September, 2003. He's a good one!

Monday, February 20, 2006

President's Day in CA

Greetings from sunny California!

Does anyone remember this painting a copy of which hung in my room when I was a child? It's titled "Blue Bird" and was decopaged by someone ?? It is now in our office/guest room at home. I'm quite certain someone who is reading this remembers mounting it on a piece of pine many years ago. Please let me know as I have a story to tell you.


It is sunny and about sixty-five degrees. I’m using this new blog as a more family oriented newsletter than the other one which I shall continue to make postings to.

A very dear friend emailed me the following quote saying it described my Barbara. I am sharing it with all of you because it says so much of who Barbara was. The quote was from Irma Bombeck:

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I hope that I will not have a single bit of talent left, and can say, 'I used everything you gave me.’”

Yesterday, Deb and I went to San Francisco to visit Marcia so I skipped church. It was a wonderful, sunny day even in Frisco–cool, but bright, clear and sunny. Leslie had called Friday and told us she was leaving Sunday evening and wanted to get together before she left. We arrived at Marcia and Michael’s about noon and had a nice visit with her. She gets tired easily so we were careful not to over stay. She was her usual bright, cheery, upbeat self and doesn’t look the worse for her ordeal.

After our visit, Deb, Leslie and I drove down to the Presidio and took a long walk with Charlie along the shore (a couple miles each way is my guess) from Crissy Field to Fort Point right under the Golden Gate bridge. Walking back, the lowering sun painted the city a bright almost white in front of us. When I get the photos from Deb’s camera I’ll enter them in this blog for all to see. After that we took the obligatory tourist trip down Lombard Street before heading back to Marcia’s. There were so many people driving down Lombard Street it took us nearly an hour to get there.

We headed back for another short visit with Marcia before leaving for Stockton about seven. Leslie was heading for the airport and home and planned to meet with Bobby and Bob whose flight was scheduled to arrive before her’s took off. The senior Grimms were arriving from Buffalo, NY after Deb and I left. According to Bobby, “Today Madeleine goes with her Middle School class to Costa Rica. We're glad Leslie is there to see her off with her parents. Marcia was to be a chaperone. We'll be there to welcome her home Feb. 25. We hope to see you both when we are there (from Feb.19-Mar. 2) We will go to Arizona to see Nancy and her boys in March and possibly stop over in CA when Marcia is having her radiation treatments." Whether here or in Frisco we will definitely be seeing them.

Well, it’s about time for me to take Jake and Charlie for our daily walk so I’ll leave you with this thought: Youth is not a time of life, it is a state of mind, a product of the imagination, a vigor of the emotions, a predominance of courage over timidity, an appetite for adventure. Nobody grows old by living a number of years. People grow old when they desert their ideas and ideals. Years wrinkle the skin and slow the steps, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles and slows the soul. Worry, self-doubt, fear, anxiety---these are the culprits that bow the head and break the spirit. Whether seventeen or seventy, there exists in the heart of every person who loves life the thrill of a new challenge, the insatiable appetite for for what is coming next. You are as young as your faith and as old as your doubts. So long as your heart receives from your head messages that reflect beauty, courage, joy, excitement and love, you are young. When your thinking becomes cloudy with pessimism and prevents you from taking risks, then you are old. For all her physical problems and challenges, my Barbara was always young. How can I do her memory any better than to stay always young even as she.







Jake and Carlie take me for our daily walk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home